from the 12” single, Golden Flamingo Records, 1978Patrick Adams and Peter Brown (a.k.a. P & P Records) are two of the most talented and distinctive producers to ever leave their mark upon dance music; their records walked a genre-bending line between funk, disco, soul, and even electronic post-disco. They were particular to using the synthesizer as a lead instrument, painting outlandish backgrounds for their sultry-sweet diva’s to sing over top of. I love almost every track that either of these men had their fingers on, but no matter how deep I dig, I can’t help but be drawn back to this bouncy number. The breakbeat is what does it for me: boom boom, boom-boom-boom!! That style of break got huge 20 years later with house music producers, showing just how ahead of their time these guys were; I love the bittersweet lyric too, a plea we all desire, “…don’t let this rainbow pass me by, not this time…”
