06 December, 2009

Stoney Glory

from the 7” single, Dandelion Records, 1972



A long, long time ago in a land far away, I had never smoked pot before---I suppose it was around the 4th grade that I started to get really curious; lord knows, I did my best to prepare and learn what I could about drugs in those formative years, being too young to buy it myself and too chickenshit to just steal some from my older sister. By the time middle school arrived and weed became an obtainable commodity, I had thoroughly immersed myself in all the appropriate music and literature, seeking to come off more seasoned than I actually was. I will never forget the first time I got well & truly stoned, the fucking Earth felt like it was moving under my feet, & I knew instantly that something had just entered my life which was to be synonymous with my image from there on out; so many other substances have come and gone, and though I have dried out for stretches in the past (albeit, only sometimes by choice), the bowl has never been far from my grasp. In all honesty, my relationship with cannabis is somewhat, “…instrumental to the way I look at life…”, and I’m not ashamed to admit that; I mean, there is no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but weed comes goddamn close. It doesn’t make all your problems go away, nor your pains & ills, it just softens the edges enough to let your mind see things from other angles---well, it does for me anyway. Weed isn’t for everybody, and any doucebag pot activist that tells you otherwise is lying, as I’ve seen chicks flip their wigs on even low grade pot. For me however, and apparently for British band Tractor as well, it’s the bee’s knees!