08 June, 2010

We're On the Right Track

from the 7” single, Wand Records, 1973



The longer I live, and remain monogamously coupled, the more firmly I believe that the core message within this song is actually essential to a strong lasting relationship, and that is: have as much, if not more of, the sincere confidence in your awesomeness as a couple as you do in your own personal life. The reality is, this tradition of being paired for one’s whole existence was developed at a time when the average life expectancy fell in the mid 30s, thus a “life” spent with one person only entailed a couple of decades, at most---so, it may follow that if you want something to last longer, perhaps one needs to set about believing in that vision from day one. I’m not saying to do this at the expense of good judgment or in ignorance of obvious obstacles which prove too large to surmount (if it’s broke, it’s broke), and I certainly don’t believe that long-term monogamy is a path for everyone, but I can say subjectively that I am a far better person with a partner in crime by my side. This uplifting little ditty was one of Norman Harris’ earliest productions, already displaying a feel for that inspirational, elevating vibe which he later became known for; mint copies of this 45 exchange hands for upwards of thirty bucks.