21 July, 2010

Caesar

from the LP Melted, Goner Records, 2010



This kind of fuzzed out garage rock revivalism, which was largely incited by the coming of the White Stripes at the end of our last century, shows no sign of letting up anytime soon, and few do it as well as Ty Segall, a young man who really does this genre justice by his lo-fi, high-on-drugs (exclaiming in one song 'I'm on drugs, Lemmy from Motorhead gave em to me') approach to the music. Although a grip of crews playing this type of lumbering mess often come off as insincere, or at the very least like they are merely going through the motions, Mr. Segall comes across as if he is playing to save his stoned soul…I fucking FEEL you man!!! Coming to life on a shoestring acoustic hook and tinker-toy drumming, it could almost be precious--- well, that is until Ty opens his mouth: full of pouting Jagger-esque (perhaps more accurately, Johansen-esque, although he was merely aping Mick in the first place I suppose, but I digress…) strut one second, then collapsing into shambling Mascis-ian brokenness the next. Segall’s sharp ear for a catchy melody is affirmed in spades here, and he fucking knows it, turning the bridge of a chorus (starting around 1:10) into an extended coda because it’s so goddamn addictive; frankly, he could’ve rode that last bit into the ocean for another 10 minutes or so and we’d still be begging for more! Bring it motherfucker!!