21 August, 2010

(My Funk Goes) On & On

from the LP Toeachizown, Stones Throw Records, 2009



“I embrace the younger & the older generations… I consider myself to be an analogue futurist, if you will…the spirit is what you’re after, not the minutiae…” (from a 2010 interview) ZAPP attack, fool!!! Fresh like that bar of lemongrass soap some rasta just sold you at the farmer’s market, and hot like a basket of deep-fried pickle chips, Damon ‘Dâm Funk’ Riddick fashions funky templates so fly you almost forget how bad most popular music blows these days; for real, to enjoy his 5xLP debut Toeachizown is akin to eating a foot-long chili cheese dog, made with some Nathan’s Famous love, and washing that down behind a side of tater-tots and strawberry lime-ade (yes, I’ve been hitting up the Sonic a lot lately, so what?!). By that, I mean that his tunes go down easy, but they are filling, both for your mind & body--- homeboy is making an effort to educate people on the finer things in life, like vibing with the life-force, and synthesizers of all shapes and sizes. We are living in the middle of some strange-ass times people, a transition to be sure, so it’s reassuring to know the world has people like Damon to spread the love!