from the LP Why You So Craven, Arrival Records, 1981I have a lot to be thankful for, particularly my happiness, health & freedom. Funny thing is, there was a time in my life when I used to scowl & complain about those individuals who always seemed to have a smile on their faces, something which I deemed (in my infinite wisdom as a juvenile delinquent…) to be a sign of ignorance and, probably, low IQ; fortunately, I’ve come to understand that those of us who smile a lot aren’t stupid, we’ve just come to realize the power of attitude adjustment. Some family of mine have been suffering through all manners of physical ailments lately, something which is always a sobering reminder of how much we often take our good, or least decent, health for granted---in all honesty, having packed on 40+ lbs in the last year or so, it’s about time to get off my lazy ass and take my physiological well-being more seriously. Maybe most of all I’m thankful for my freedom, knowing sharply and all too painfully what it feels like to have that most basic tenet of human experience taken away: the freedom to go where I please, behave how I choose, say whatever I want…shit, freedom to stumble down to the ‘fridge in the middle of the night, chug some milk, and pad back upstairs to a nice comfortable bed (it’s the simplest of things you miss most when you are locked up). Today, be mindful & thankful of what you’ve got. Eat, drink, puff & be merry!
