from the EP Drippers, Graveface Records, 2008If I had to choose one current band which I am helplessly in love with more than any other, it would be these guys, hands down; Tom Fec (aka “Tobacco”), the band’s leader, had me at his cheap, vocodered-enhanced “hello”! I’m often critical of bands that choose to just focus on one sound, but in the case of BMSR, well, this is all my ears want to hear. They employ a nice rift between the more organic (live bass and actual drumset), and the less-so (a fucking army of mono- and polysynths); this doesn’t come off like the opposite sides are competing, but rather like they are having a conversation from each side of the planetary ethos. This melodious tête-à-tête pulls from all sorts of varying influences: a little Air here, a little Beatles there, perhaps remnants of the members’ indulgences into the rave scene back in the day (just a guess). I certainly don’t speak for the band in saying this, but their music just flat out makes you want to go deep into the mountains and take drugs all day; if you’ve never done that sort of thing, just listening to their tunes gives you a good indication of what if might feel like. This track has all the above in abundance: fatty drum break, slinking bassline, ferocious synthesizers, and a totally drugged out cryptic title/lyric to match, “…one day I had an extra toe…” wtf?! I freaking love these guys---they don’t take themselves too seriously, but they don’t slack on their material in the slightest. If possible, listen to this one with headphones on, loud, and right after you’ve taken a real deep hit of some super kind nuggies, if you are amenable to that kind of behavior.
