07 March, 2009

Last Caress

from the EP Beware, Cherry Red Records, 1979




Seemingly sprung forth from the very B-movie horror flicks which inspired their visage, The Misfits are easily one of my all-time favorite bands. The fact is, beneath all that black makeup and long, pointy devil-locks, under all the admittedly mediocre and rough musicianship, lies some of the prettiest songs you’ve ever heard, sang by one of the all-time greatest howls in American music---one Glenn Danzig. With all the rat bastards who’ve fleeced our nation in the news of late, I couldn’t help but lean towards this exquisitely gruesome track. With a strikingly pure ‘50s-style panache, Mr. Danzig delivers some of the most eye-bulging lyrics ever put to paper: “Well I got something to say, I killed your baby today, and it doesn’t matter much to me as long as it’s dead…well I got something to say, I raped your mother today, and it doesn’t matter much to me as long as she spread…”; no wonder they couldn’t find any labels to release their stuff back then! I swear, if it wasn’t for the ghastly words and the speed with which he delivers them, this could easily be some old 1950’s rock-n-roll relic. So, I hereby dedicate this track to all the Bernie Madoff’s and AIG’s in the world, who seemingly balk in the face of mass human suffering. “…sweet lovely death…waiting for your breath…come sweet death, one last caress…”