01 May, 2010

Be Near Me

from the LP How to be a Zillionaire, Neutron Records, 1985



Well, for those unacquainted with ABC’s cheeky brand of sparkling gossamer pop music, be warned: this is about as guilty of a pleasure as there is, so the cheese factor found within does a respectable job at living up to the diaphanous vibe inherent to the album’s title & cover art…ah, that dry British wit. This wasn’t all meant as irony though, and they were no different from any other ‘80s act, seeking stardom in the decade of success. You can’t deny the melodies or meticulous craftsmanship however, sugar-coated chord progressions accented by the airiest of effects, all congealing into marshmallow clouds of pure pop confection---like Skittles for your ears. I got no shame, I know it, but fuck if I care…that descending piano run releases a monster shot of serotonin to my dome-piece, “…be near me, be near…(whistling the piano part)…be near me, be near…”