from the LP …Destroys the Invaders, Greensleeves Records, 1982This last week marked the 30th anniversary of Pac-Man, the first true amalgamation of pothead fantasy come to life as an exogenous pastime---what better way to identify with stoners than through a video game in which your primary objective is to eat?! Ms. Pac-Man far surpassed her hubby in popularity, which is fitting I suppose; remember those amusing interludes showing how they met and then had Pac-sex, producing little Pac-babies? Living in an age now where video game controllers look similar to a fucking airplane cockpit, I pine for the days when all you had to worry about was a joystick, perhaps one big ass button---hell, I still can’t pull off all the moves in Pro Wrestling using the classic NES ’85 controller! Dub mastermind Lloyd ‘Prince Jammy’ James was clearly hooked on Atari during the production of this space-dub masterpiece; even having been mentored by the master himself, King Tubby, no one could have predicted the monumental amount of influence Jammy would wind up having over the direction of music in Jamaica. Along with producing Black Uhuru’s first album, Jammy went on to produce the first all-computerized dancehall single (Wayne Smith’s “Under Me Sleng Teng”), thus setting the course for all the Sean Paul’s out there today. Grab a phat spliff along with those high-end headphones I know you’re rocking, and come join the fight…
