from the LP In Search of the Lost Chord, Deram Records, 1968No matter how impractical such a scenario would likely be, it’s easy to get tempted by the earnest idealism found within the concept of a psychedelic utopia, at least partially because some of the motivating factors which played into that equilibrium (i.e. war, poverty, and perhaps most notably, a disillusionment with the traditional rules & regulations) remain potent forces in many people’s lives today. The Moody Blues, having become rather notorious drug-takers by this stage in their career (love the acidy, proto-Alex Grey cover art), present a song here from the point of view of an older individual who, perhaps having turned on, realizes that he’s wasted his whole life, “…I worked like a slave for years, sweat so hard just to end my fears, not to end my life a poor man, but by now, I know, I should have run…”; thus, he admonishes some unseen young person to “…take this place, on this trip…ride, take a free ride…have my seat, it's for free…let’s find another place that’s free…” I doubt sitting around taking psychedelics all the time would be the solution to the world’s issues, but maybe we do need something radical, like having all the globe’s leaders eat mushrooms together, to begin the conversation…can you even imagine that?!!
