from the 12” single, Greensleeves Records, 1978Jeez, is it obvious enough that I don’t have to be teaching for a few weeks (re: sudden onslaught of posting drug-related tracks)?! It’s true, my marijuana consumption increases once the responsibility of standing in front of a classroom every morning wanes, and the ass-groove on our couch downstairs gets a little deeper. This heady anthem begins like many other weed-themed reggae cuts of that time, with the protagonist being chased down by the cops for his love of the sweet leaf, but once you arrive at the chorus things take a turn for the trippy, “…meanwhile I’m smoking my ganja, then I use, LSD…”; it’s no surprise, then, that the band responsible for this song, Capital Letters, hailed not from Jamaica, but instead Wolverhampton, in England. Even being one of John Peel’s most beloved British reggae acts wasn’t enough to garner them with wide-reaching popularity, and they only released a couple of albums before disappearing from sight; however, word is they have recently reformed and are planning to tour (knock on wood).
