EARTHQUAKE IN HAITI
Watching the events transpire down in Haiti is breaking my heart; being a country that has suffered so much already, I can’t imagine the level of sheer despair that this earthquake has produced on an already taxed collective psyche, let alone the lives lost and being lost as I type this post. When I lived and worked in the Dominican Republic, I crossed the border into Haiti on a couple of occasions, and I’ve gotta tell you, the word “impoverished” just doesn’t do the reality justice; there is also a large Haitian community where I grew up in Florida, so this crisis has really grabbed my attention. I’m encouraged to see the international response so far, with aid already pouring in from us, France, Brazil, even China! That being said, the needs will undoubtedly dwarf the resources available, so I really encourage anyone who reads this blog to donate $10 to the Red Cross if you are able (which, if you are reading this internet blog, you can probably swing it)---it’s simple: Just text the word: HAITI to the number 90999, then you will receive a confirmation to which you must reply with: YES. It might not seem like a lot, but believe me, they are going to need all the help they can get and more. Other bloggers have my permission, and encouragement, to cut & paste this specific post into your own blogs for greater dispersal. My thoughts are with all of my friends who have family still down there, I am here for you in any way I can be!!