20 January, 2010

How High Can You Fly

from the LP Shinola Vol. 1, Schnitzel Records, released: 2005, recorded: 199?



In honor of this, my 420th post here in the Honeypot, I dug through my digital crates in search of a fittingly stoner-friendly track, but so many to choose from… My love for Ween is boundless, so this LP of odds & ends from over their career was a welcome surprise when it dropped a few years back, containing a solid assortment of Ween’s many different musical faces; guessing from the drunken, sea shanty-like melody and cadence found here, I’d guess the original construction of this track came somewhere around the Mollusk sessions. They ask the listener a truly timeless query, “…how high can you fly...?” Albeit, I wouldn’t recommend going too far in attempting to satisfy that quandary, you could wind up flying a little higher than you expected, burning the fuck out of your face while kissing the surface of the sun, you know how that goes… Extra points for the Tago Mago inspired cover art, and ultra cheap vocal effects---you gotta love the second chorus when Gener gets all serious and is like, “…can you get high…?” Yes I can. Mo hay now.