25 January, 2010

Haven't You Heard

from the LP Pizzazz, Elektra Records, 1979



Every time I read about some jazz musician pissing off the purists by embracing new and engaging styles of music beyond the boundaries of “jazz” it warms my soul---I mean, for real, how lame do you have to be to think that a genuine artist gives a flying fuck?! Noted pianist Patrice Rushen received more than her fair share of rage from the bop sticklers, but I’d guess that if someone actually measured the levels of orthodox-based hatred as compared to record sales, one would find a positive correlation between success and subsequent scorn; that is, Ms. Rushen rocked the dancefloor yo. This uptempo burner will never fail to put a spring in your step, firing on all engines at once: come horns, come violins, bump that bass, stab that piano! Extra points for the dank extended interlude when she rips it up on the electric keys, and also for the stellar cover photo; you rock those cowrie shells in your braids girl!!