07 September, 2010

Can't Get Him Off My Mind

from the 7” single, Duo Records, 1969



We have no way of really knowing, but I’d be willing to bet that Amy Winehouse spent a bundle of time & effort studying every last nuance and subtlety found within the measures of this sassy number, analyzing the way that Chi-town native Sheryl Swope managed to sound both inebriated & pitch-perfect at the same time---granted, Ms. Winehouse didn’t have to try very hard to sound wasted, but I digress… This track always brings a smile to my face, a Fred Bridges production of the higest caliber, crappy audio transfer notwithstanding (sorry guys, this was as clean as I could get it). Ms. Swope makes the listener feel her love obsession in an organic way that leaves a distinct impression, unlike much of the hokey love stories that ‘60s soul music is known for; props to the background singers too.