09 September, 2010

When I'm With You

from the LP Crazy For You, Mexican Summer Records, 2010



Reeking of Coppertone and Mr. Zogg’s Strawberry Sex Wax, the Los Angeles trio known as Best Coast are getting the balance just right, in my humble opinion, so much so that I’ve found myself dreaming about the beach a lot lately, waking up to find their songs rolling over & over in my mind; granted, I do think the surf-rock thing is getting to be overdone now, but these cats are the cream of that crop, so don’t punish ‘em for it. Truth be told, I spent more time waxing my board than I actually did surfing as a kid, considering we don’t get proper “wake” in southern Florida, more like ripples (with the glaring exceptions of hurricanes and tropical storms, which always managed to get even the older surfers coming out of the woodwork). Anyways, this album has sufficiently invaded my headspace, in a good way---it’s like the Pixies meets Rocketship on a longboard in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.