15 September, 2010

Everybody Wants to Rule the World

from the LP Songs from the Big Chair, Mercury Records, 1985



Regular readers of this blog know that I don’t often wade into the slurry pit of bullshit that is American politics, so please forgive me this one instance to share a couple of thoughts I’ve had after learning more about some of the fucktarded nutbags who won a few of our nation’s primary elections last night and over the past couple months: (ahem…) okay, um, REALLY??!!? Given the statistics we’ve recently heard regarding how one fifth of our population actually believes that our president is a foreign-born muslim, it must be those same lurching imbeciles who are turning out to vote, which is fucking scary people. I’m not a cheerleader for the Dems either---as I’ve previously stated, I think virtually ALL politicians at the federal (and increasingly, the state) level are crazy douchebags and narcissists of the highest order; that said, the alternatives on the other side appear to be far more harrowingly stupid and out of touch, which is what makes a GOP sweep in November such a sincerely frightening & horrifying probability. Not to mention the fact that our Supreme Court is now heavy with young social conservatives… The deeper, and more petrifying, reality this wave symbolizes is the failure of our educational system, en masse; poor people voting against their own interests out of some delusional resolve that we need to go backwards instead of forwards…I won’t even venture into the sickeningly elevated levels of religious zealotry that is linked to that crowd. In order for a democracy to work correctly, the people have to be well educated--- otherwise, we become held captive to the reactionary perils of emotional idiots. (deep sigh) Okay, ‘nuff said.