Side B, 2000I used to think those ravers that would talk your ear off about how this one special DJ set changed their whole life were full of shit---that is, until I experienced Miles Maeda spinning at sunrise; I can’t honestly say that my life changed that very day, or even in the weeks that followed, but the heady revelations I had during his set took deep root in my mind and later drove me right out of the stormy chaos which had become my life. I’ve come to acknowledge that there are certain DJs who really put a lot of thought and energy into taking you there, and Mr. Maeda is most assuredly among the top on that list; growing up in Chicago, by way of Hawaii, he was steeped in the dankest house scene around, always tending towards the deeper end of the house music pool. His mixtapes are plentiful in number, dropping them frequently from the early ‘90s right on ‘til today, and this is one of his absolute best. If the radiance of dawn could choose its own soundtrack, this tape might very well be it!
