from the LP Fly By Night, Mercury Records, 1975I had a long list of potential songs for my first Rush posting---yes, I realize that secures my spot in the halls of music geekdom, and no, I don’t give a shit; this prodigious Canadian power-trio rocks, and that’s just the fucking deal, love ‘em or hate ‘em, they still fucking rock. The addition of Neal Peart on drums for this, their second album, completed the mystical triumvirate of forces that has since dispensed with so many mind-shatteringly perfect slices of inter-planetary prog-rock insanity; he is also the one responsible for writing the lyrics, fantastical mythology-based tales of struggle, triumph and quests for truth. This was the first in what became a long line of epic length songs, culminating in their opus 2112, but I love this track almost as much; they rock through four distinct suites, all of which find the guys displaying their mammoth chops in ready fashion, accented nicely with some weird effects---seriously, Peart’s drumming here is already beyond most drummers’ dreams, and it only got better!
