07 November, 2009

Hand In Glove

from the 7” single, Rough Trade Records, 1984



I realize I’m gonna take some shit for this post, so let’s just get right to it: I like the Smiths mainly due to Johnny Marr’s inspired and inimitable guitar-playing, and although I’ve grown to tolerate and, at times, enjoy his unique vocal stylings, Morrissey’s only constant draw for me is his witty lyrical ability. That mastery of words is already proudly displayed on this, their debut single, and when you consider the topic being discussed here, one has to give them some props for the courage to take that risk, “…hand in glove, the sun shines out of our behinds, no it's not like any other love, this one is different because it's us; hand in glove, we can go wherever we please, and everything depends upon how near you stand to me…and if people stare, then people stare; oh, I really don't know and I really don't care…” This is stuff was rather atypical from the prevailing new wave trends of their time, sounding more like the paisley underground scene in LA than their synth-centric peers in Manchester and London; I can’t say enough good things about the chord progressions that Marr generated, on song after song, this debut being one of his best, in my opinion anyways. Morrissey helped a generation of gay youth with this number, giving them a spine & a voice all at once, with no apologies, and not even a filthy word to be found, “…kiss my shades...” ---precious stuff!!