26 November, 2009

Be Thankful for What You Got

from the 7” single, Roxbury Records, 1973



Seeing as how this holiday could be viewed as a sadistic celebration of the European genocide of this nation’s indigenous population, I usually tend to take a more literal interpretation of this day: giving thanks. What better way to express that gratitude than with a good old fashioned pig-out surrounded by those you love?! Anyone who knows me is well aware that I could go on for days about the importance of taking the time out to sit down with friends & family and eat a meal, holiday or not (yes, I fully support the slow food movement), and all the more fun when you cook the food yourselves; albeit, I typed that last bit while I was laughing out loud, recalling the Honeybaked ham and pre-baked pies sitting in the fridge that will be my offerings today. At any rate, I’m thankful to have loved ones both near & far, and I’m thinking of all of you today; basically, I’m appreciative to have an abundance of things for which I am thankful, a reality that is rather humbling when you stop and think about it. This smooth number by D.C. area crooner William DeVaughn really captures the right feel here, both in lyrical tone and his delivery, helped along by a young Vincent Montana Jr. on the vibraphone, and it’s actually most of MFSB backing him here; this song may also qualify as the first recorded mentioning of a “gangsta lean”. I hope everyone has a great day today, and remember, “…though you may not drive a great big Cadillac, gangsta whitewalls, TV antennas in the back; you may not have a car at all, but remember, brothers and sisters, you can still stand tall…just be thankful, for what you've got…”