22 October, 2009

Anti Love Song

from the LP Betty Davis, Just Sunshine Records, 1973



Becoming the lover and wife of jazz icon Miles Davis must have been an altogether surreal experience for a girl who had been raised on a hog farm in North Carolina, but as average as chores on a farm might be, there was never anything “average” about Betty Davis (née Mabry); in a recent interview, the only one she’s given in over 30 years, Ms. Davis explained that, off-stage, she is actually a very shy individual---a fact which makes her larger than life performances even more remarkable. The players supporting her on this release were quite the progressive assemblage of Bay area musicians: bassist Larry Graham and drummer Greg Errico from the Family Stone, guitarist Neil Schon from Santana, & none other than Merl Saunders on the electric piano; however, it is Betty herself that keeps me coming back for more, “…I know you could posses my body, I know you could make me scrawl, I know you could have me shakin’, I know you could have me climbing walls…that’s why I don’t wanna love you…”