from the 7” single, Columbia Records, 1981So, sitting here in the middle of a blizzard and we already have close to a foot of snow on the ground, much of which I just shoveled off of the driveway & sidewalk in front of my house only an hour’s time ago, yet by now it almost looks like I did nothing at all… (sigh). It is beautiful though, like living inside a snow globe---good excuse to get some soup cooking on the stove, roll out the hashish & bunker down for a little while (puff puff, slurp slurp). Something about this song, by British art-punks the Psychedelic Furs, gives me the impression of being caught out in a snow storm, all the dense layering & processed effects washing over you like glacial waves of arctic sound; certainly, singer Richard Butler’s gravelly voice couldn’t get much icier. Extraordinary producer Steve Lillywhite definitely worked his magic across this entire album, and Butler’s cryptic lyrics only add to the shadowy atmosphere, “…give me all your paper ma, so I can buy a train; I don't know how I got in here, it's making me insane; have another cigarette and have another cigarette, in a room where lovers go, talking on the telephone…they have got it in for me, yeah I mean it honestly…they all dream…”
