from the LP Benefit, Chrysalis Records, 1970
Ever since VH1 aired those “History of Metal” documentaries (ad infinitum), in which they have a montage of several noted musicians bemoaning Tull’s winning of the first ever Grammy for heavy metal band in the late ‘80s, it’s downright uncanny how many people I’ve come across who suddenly hate Tull and have only this example to show as evidence---really? You really love and respect the bloody, buggery Grammys enough to write off the work of an incredible band just due to the panel of voters being clearly confused as to what constitutes ‘heavy metal’? I think not…but, of course, if you are a faithful addict of the Honeypot here, I have to presume you aren’t hung up on fucktarted stuff like that; I mean, loathe Tull for the right reasons, like, perhaps Ian Anderson’s voice creeps you out too much to be able to enjoy the music, or because your entire family was murdered by a roving pack of homicidal flautists when you were a child, but not because of some lame award show. This pace-shifting track is a great example of what Tull does best: weaving stony hard rock licks with progressive folky themes, all tied together with Anderson’s daunting flute. The sage advice our young student receives is solid wisdom for all times, “…I have a lesson that I must impart to you; it's an old expression, but I must insist it's true…jump up, look around, find yourself some fun, no sense in sitting there hating everyone….” Amen to that!