22 June, 2009

Yee Haw

from the 12” single, Molemen Records, 2003



The underground rap super-villain known as MF Doom has one of the most loquacious and skillful flows in all of hip-hop---it’s rare that a rapper can be so verbose and still come off hard as fuck. His own life actually plays out something like a comic book tale: previously known as Zev Love X and part of early ‘90s hip-hop crew KMD with his brother DJ Subroc, brother was struck and killed by a car the same week KMD got dropped by their record label, Zev disappears from sight for almost 5 years before re-emerging as MF Doom, wearing a metal mask to hide his face. Over the last decade he has been one of the most prolific underground hip-hop rappers and producers, working with Madlib (as “Madvillainy”), Dangermouse (as “Danger Doom”), Raekwon and countless others. You can’t step to these rhymes, “…have no fear the ninja here, feel em like the tinge in ya ear from drinkin ginger beer; when it's on loco head gon’ lay low, and eat it like beef patty coco bread con queso…if I had a dime for every rhymer who bust guns, I'd have a cool mill’ for my sons in trust funds; when I was broker than a broke dick dog, I always kept a L to smoke in thick fog…”