23 August, 2009

Get Up, Get Down & Let Your Body Pop

from the 12” single, Rokk Steady Records, 1983



There are so many reasons that one should own a pair of roller skates, and firmly entrenched within that list is the synthtastic behemoth known only as Greyship Daviz, gracing us with at least 3 known songs, all of which bring to mind a very busy night at the roller rink. I looked all over for information about these guys, seeing as how they fucking rock, but I was unable to locate anything---not even a small bio, just the info on the label, which indicates the tracks were recorded and mixed in Columbus, Ohio. The body of the song is fairly typical early ‘80s disco-funk, albeit with a lot more weird electronics than usual, but it’s the crazy bridge/chorus that I can’t get enough of: weird time shift, driving bassline, Michael Jackson-inspired vocal stylings, and those ever-present blips & beeps from the synth. If anyone can find out anything about these cats, please let me know.