21 August, 2009

Miss Kane

from the LP Street Lady, Blue Note Records, 1973



The jazz trumpeter and composer Donald Byrd has one of the most illustrious and funky discographies known to man, being sampled almost more than any other jazz figure; literally every single one of his mid ‘70s LPs is a necessity for any self-respecting jazz-funk fan or breaks-head. I love all of his stuff, but lately I find myself digging on this album a lot, one of his lesser-known outings which rolls along like a turgid river, Byrd’s trumpet caressing your ears like a cool breeze. Starting out as a strictly mid-tempo jam, this song abruptly shifts into high gear close to 3 minutes in, and hold onto your hats people, because off they go; mad props to King Errisson on the congas & Harvey Mason on the drums for totally holding it down here, making things real chunky and funky for us all to enjoy! Also, how about a hand for the workin’ girls on the cover, can I get an “amen”?!